Monday, March 19, 2012

St Benedict Novena Day 8 (March 19): Flavigny and Le Barroux


Continuing today this novena for traditional Benedictine religious life, I want to mention today the monasteries of Flavigny and Le Barroux in France.

Patronal feast of Flavigny

Today is in fact the patron feast of the Monastery of Flavigny, which is bi-ritual, was founded in 1972 and today has around 50 monks. 

The monastery has an unusual charism (for Benedictines), of running Ignatian Retreats, not only at the monastery itself and in various locations around France, but around the world, including England and Australia.

Among its many works to note are the excellent newsletter, featuring inspiring stories of saints and others which you can subscribe to, as well as a web facility to arrange for masses to be offered.

Le Barroux

And of course, this series would be incomplete without a mention of the monasteries of Le Barroux.

The famous foundation of Dom Gerard Calvet in southern France started from just one monk, whose books are all well worth reading (some are available in English).  The monks live stream a number of their offices, so if you are in their time zone, do listen in!

The monks have also made a foundation at La Garde, where they are in the process of building a monastery.

As well as the monks there is also an associated Monastery of Nuns.  Founded in 1979 they now have around 30 nuns, and recently put out a CD through Decca.

Novena Prayer

O glorious St. Benedict, sublime model of all virtues, pure vessel of God's grace! Behold me, humbly kneeling at thy feet. I implore thy loving heart to pray for me before the throne of God. To thee I have recourse in all the dangers which daily surround me. Shield me against my enemies, inspire me to imitate thee in all things. May thy blessing be with me always, so that I may shun whatever God forbids and avoid the occasions of sin.

Graciously obtain for me from God those favors and graces of which I stand so much in need, in the trials, miseries and afflictions of life. Thy heart was always so full of love, compassion, and mercy toward those who were afflicted or troubled in any way. Thou didst never dismiss without consolation and assistance anyone who had recourse to thee. I therefore invoke thy powerful intercession, in the confident hope that thou wilt hear my prayers and obtain for me the special grace and favor I so earnestly implore (mention your intentions here), if it be for the greater glory of God and the welfare of my soul.

Help me, O great St. Benedict, to live and die as a faithful child of God, to be ever submissive to His holy will, and to attain the eternal happiness of heaven. Amen.

[For the special intention (Magnificat antiphon of the feast): O pattern of heavenly life, our guide and teacher Benedict, whose soul is now rejoicing with Christ in heaven: protect thy flock, dear shepherd, and by thy holy prayer support them; and with thyself as leader showing that brightened way, make them enter the heavens.]

No comments: