Saturday, June 18, 2011

June 19: Trinity Sunday, Class I

Shield of the Trinity, manuscript ca 1255-65
Today is Trinity Sunday, which marks the final end of the Easter season and its aftermath, and the start of time after Pentecost.

The distinctive part of today's liturgy is the recitation at Prime of the Creed named after St Athanasius (although modern scholars suspect it actually originated in Southern Gaul), which firmly sets out the essentials of the faith in relation to the Trinity as a counter to Arian and other heresies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you might mean Prime for the reading of the Athanasian Creed? That's according to the LA Press Diurnal at least...

BTW, I think your site is wonderful. I've ordered a copy of the Farnborough diurnal and can't wait to start using it along with the tutorials on these pages.

Kate Edwards said...

You are quite right anon, not sure how Lauds slipped in there, but I've fixed it!

And thank you for your kind comments.